Thursday, September 2, 2010

Deer Jalapeno Wraps

So some of our deer meat cooking ideas come from talking with other people who have great ideas too.  Jeff came home from work telling me about a wonderful dish he tried that his friend at work had made with deer meat, jalapenos, bacon and cheese.  All good ingredients - how can you go wrong?

Of course, we had to try it ourselves.  We used hind quarter and made what I called Deer Jalapeno Wraps.  It's best to use the backstrap or tenderloin cuts for this dish because you want the meat to be tender.  We had hind quarter so we tenderized it well; cut it into strips about as wide as a jalapeno; and marinaded it in Allegro marinade for about an hour.  We cut some fresh jalapenos in half lengthwise and seeded them.  I used softened cream cheese and added some fresh chopped garlic (i have a Pampered Chef garlic press that I use for this), some Slap Ya Mama seasoning and some shredded cheese.  I'm terrible with measurements - I just add "some".  Anyway, we spread the cream cheese mixture in the hollow of the jalapeno; then wrapped the jalapeno with the strip of deer meat; then wrapped a piece of bacon around the whole thing and secured it with toothpicks.

This is a time consuming process and it took both Jeff and I to do it; but when it's all said and done it's well worth the effort.

Jeff grilled the jalapenos on the barbecue pit until the bacon was done.  He also grilled some boudin on the pit to go with the wraps. 

Dinner was most enjoyed that night for sure.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say we did the wraps for the LSU game when we had some friends come over and it was a HIT! Everyone totally enjoyed them. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my brother went back from hunting, he cooked Deer Jalapeno Wraps too. I'm so mad at him during that time, because he didn't tell me how he made it. Thanks to you, I now know how to cook deer jalapeno wrap.

    ReplyDelete