Thursday, September 2, 2010

Deer Meat Asian Style

We had some leftover pieces of deer meat that were too small to wrap around a jalapeno, so we needed to find a different way to prepare them so they didn't go to waste.

Jeff came up with the Asian style idea; I did some research about cooking Asian food because it's not something I've ever tried before.  I found a recipe that looked easy enough for Asian Beef, so I thought I would give it a try.

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons rice wine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 onion cut into thin strips
1/2 bell pepper cut into thin strips
olive oil
shake or two of ground ginger
deer meat cut into very thin strips

In a small bowl I combined the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and cornstarch and set aside.  I did not have rice wine, so I left it out.

In a nonstick skillet, I sauteed the onion and bell pepper in a little olive oil until just tender and then removed them from the skillet.  I then added the deer meat to the skillet and stir fried until done - 5 to 7 minutes maybe.  It didn't take long because the strips were very thin.  I added the onions and bell peppers back in and then added the soy sauce mixture, brought that to a boil while stirring constantly, then lowered the heat until the sauce was thick and smooth.  Very quick process - stay with it or it the sauce will scorch.

It came out really good.  We ate it with some Lipton Asian noodles and some vegetables (frozen asparagus mix).

No comments:

Post a Comment