Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Deer Meat Stroganoff

So with the weather finally, finally turning cooler, my tastes are turning toward comfort food.  Last night I thawed some "breakfast sausage" (see earlier post for explanation) and then started wondering just what I was going to do with it.  Jeff suggested a stroganoff.  Well........I've never made a stroganoff, so I started scouring the internet for a recipe.  Here's what I came up with:

  • 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 3 slices bacon, diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • dash pepper
  • 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

Preparation:

Directions for hamburger stroganoff.
Place ground beef and bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring, until ground beef is well browned. Add onion and cook until onion is just tender. Drain off excess fat. Blend in flour, salt, paprika, pepper, and cream of mushroom soup. Cook over low heat, uncovered, for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in sour cream and heat through. Serve hamburger stroganoff over noodles or serve over split toasted hamburger buns.
Hamburger stroganoff serves 6 to 8.
 
******************
Obviously, I didn't have hamburger, I had deer sausage.  I must also say here that I am never able to follow a recipe exactly - maybe its the rebel in me, I don't know, but I just can't.  Since I had sausage, I decided not to add the bacon.  I also didn't add the salt or pepper the recipe called for because my sausage was seasoned and I did not have the healthy choice, less salt version of the cream of mushroom soup.
 
Once I got it all mixed together, I decided it was too thick so I added about a half a can of milk to thin it some.  I served it over vegetable corkscrew noodles.  We had garlic bread and salad to go with it. 
 
I'm hesitant to post my picture, because to be honest it doesn't really look all that appetizing, but it tasted great so keep that in mind when you look at the picture.
 

If you are getting this beautiful fall-like weather like we are down here in the deep south, enjoy.  If not - hopefully you will get it soon.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment