Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More Deer Meat for Supper

So we are trying to clean out our freezer by eating all the deer meat we can before hunting season. 

I haven't had a chance to keep up with this blog like I had originally planned - Life just gets in the way sometimes.  Who has time to sit behind this computer every day.  Anyway.........

Last week I made some more deer wraps like I did before only this time I thought to get a picture.

These are simply the best.  They take some effort to make, but oh boy is it worth it.

The next night I thawed some pork strips, seasoned them well and placed them in a baking dish along with the left over pieces of deer meat from the wraps.  I covered them generously with onions, sliced jalapenos and bell peppers and baked them in the oven for about an hour until they were tender and delicious.



To go with the smothered pork and deer meat, I made some dirty rice using ground deer meat.  I cheated and used a Zatarain's dirty rice mix, but it's so easy and tastes good - why not?



I'm aware that the correct name for "deer meat" is "venison".  We simply never call it that.



On another note altogether - there are these strange little birds that have taken to our street and travel from ditch to ditch.  They really are the funniest things - they are gray with white bellies, have very long pointy beaks and are quite skittish.  I was able to get a decent picture of one when it visited our pond the other day.  If anyone knows what they are called, please let me know.



well........thanks for reading - have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment